Site Meter

Friday, March 21, 2008

Does the human race think??

I do not know what you people think, but Edward de Bono says "How the Human Race has never really learned to think" in a book with the same big title. In a book of about 120 pages, he tries hard to put down many a example to say that, what humans do is work on a pattern or recognition. The brain is trained to handle all things, based on patterns that are stored, including the previous experiences a person has had.
The first 30 pages went very fast, and at a point I thought I will complete the book in two hours (That would have been a record, considering my poor reading speed which is about 12 pages/hour). Even with such a poor reading speed I was one among the person who read a lot of books. But this was before i started working. Things changed once i started working. "I was born intelligent, but my job ruined me", kind of works for me (Hope my manager does not see this).
Anyway coming back to the discussion of human race, thinking, pattern and de Bono, after 30 pages I found myself asleep for about tem minutes. Then the book did not raise any of my interests and after struggling for 3 hours i completed about 80 pages.
I do not know how long more I would spend on reading this. The only thing in the book is some of the practical examples the author had explained about some simplex (simple-complex) problems. One more thing was about the general tendancy of human beings, sticking holily to the proverb, "Necessity is the mother of invention". Even i am no exception. Currently I am into a maintanence project, and I do not bother about the system that is existing. It is really designed bad and pathetic, but since things are running, I do not give a damn to it. The author has pointed out this example only in the book. It was as if he was talking to me and telling me to do something extra (Just like my boss). This is generally called "Value Add". Frankly I do not know if I will follow this or not.
If the author by any chance reads this (Which is impossible), he would put a comment saying that, i had written this post wearing a "Black Hat".
Luckily, I did not spend money on getting this book :).

No comments: